Tuesday, June 13, 2017

Really Reasonable Ribbon June Blog Hop


Welcome to the Really Reasonable Ribbon June Blog HopYou should be coming to my blog from the Really Reasonable Ribbon Blog. (For the complete blog list, scroll to the bottom of the post.) After visiting me, hop over to the spectacular Ginny's Blog next! 
Here is a peeky at the RRR June Ribbon Club Assortment. Don't you love this Ocean Breeze Assortment?! To tell the truth, I live 8 miles from the ocean and almost never go there! I do love the colors of summer and beach themed colors are so soothing. I enjoy looking at the ocean, but I don't really like to touch sand or actually get into the water!
So...after all that, I did NOT make a beach themed project. I instead, I used this image of hellebores, colored in the peach color scheme for my card. I colored the flowers over the winter break, but never found a chance to use them on a card. The peach polka dot ribbon is the perfect match for the peach on the flowers! The ribbon is called Moonstone Swiss Dots Grosgrain. I made a few cards with this ribbon, and used up every scrap of it! Time to order some extra! 

This card is a big dude, at 8" x 8"! I love this big size so that my images have room to shine! I have had a few questions about how I make an 8" x 8" card. Let me just say, I do NOT purchase jumbo-sized paper! I simply cut one piece of cardstock to 8" x 8" and a second piece to 8" x 8 1/2". I score that 1/2" strip to make a tab (or hinge), fold on the score line, place adhesive on the tab, and attach the two panels together. And presto, you have an 8" x 8" card!

As for how I mail these big cards...well, they are best hand delivered! But, to mail them, I suggest a box or padded mailer of some kind. Padded mailers can be found in 8 1/2" x 11" and there are also boxes out there that measure slightly bigger than 11" x 8" x 2" which work perfectly. Wrap your pretty card in tissue paper, insert in the box or mailer, and mail away!
I wanted the dotted ribbon to shine, so I added a bit of Gray Solid Baker's Twine to the dotted bow. Then I topped the bow with a resin dot (12 mm Mixed Pastel Round Flatback Resin).

The flower image is a digital stamp from Power Poppy (Hellebores), which I colored with Copics. The sentiment is from a Power Poppy clear stamp set (Olive and Oak Expanded). I created a fun background for the image using a "watercolor" technique with the Copic markers. To achieve the look, scribble your Copic colors onto an acetate sheet. Pick up the color with a water brush that is filled with 70% isopropyl alcohol. This dilutes the color, making it easy to brush over the paper, giving you this very muted, watery background. (Make sure to do the background FIRST, and allow it to dry before coloring the image.) Let the background dry, then wet a textured rag with blending solution (or more alcohol). Press the rag onto the background, creating a texture. Let the paper dry fully, then color the image as desired. 
I used a bit more of the Ribbon Club ribbon on the card. I used the Ocean Blue Diamond Satin to make "stripes" on the card. I doubled up the satin and the dotted grosgrain as well. I added a piece of the Peony Crosshatch Satin Ribbon to the top of on of the flag shapes.

I am entering my card into these challenges:
Mojo Monday 500 Contest (closed)
The Crazy Challenge #250 Use Flowers (closed)
Addicted to Stamps Challenge #150 Flowers (closed)

Thanks for stopping by today! Now, hop over to  Ginny's Blog to see what she has for you!


Here is the RRR Blog Hop Order in case you get lost!

Really Reasonable Ribbon's Ramblings



Ribbon: Really Reasonable Ribbon June Ribbon Club (Moonstone Swiss Dots GrosgrainOcean Blue Diamond SatinPeony Crosshatch Satin Ribbon), Gray Solid Baker's Twine12 mm Mixed Pastel Round Flatback Resin
Cardstock: Hammermill Color Copy Digital Cover, CutCardStock Basis Grey
Designer paper: Lawn Fawn Perfectly Plaid Winter Walrus; Graphic 45 Cafe Parisian Confectionery, Portrait of a Lady patterns and solids, Vintage Hollywood patterns and solids
Stamps: (Hellebores), (Olive and Oak Expanded).
Ink: Memento Tuxedo Black
Enamel Dots: Simple Stories DIY Christmas
Button: stash
Dies: My Favorite Things Fishtail Flag Stax/Layers; Tonic Studios Mixed Edge Rectangles
Markers: Copic 
Adhesive: ATG tape, multi-medium, hot glue, Scor-tape, Glossy Accents

25 comments:

  1. Beautiful card Gloria with a gorgeous color palette. Love the pretty bow with the baker's twine swag.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that is a beautiful card and how lucky to have this ribbon collection go so perfectly with the image you created before. :)
    I have never thought of creating an 8x8" card but now my mind is racing thinking of all the fun ways this size could be put to use. Thanks for the tip on how to create it with out huge big sheets and how to mail or present it. I think you just opened a whole new world of card making for me! Thank you! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful selection of papers to go with these ribbons and I like your coloring.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a fabulous mixture of colors and patterns, and the bow is just perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my word, this is stunning! Love the pretty colors in
    this gorgeous ribbon assortment.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so pretty! I love the way you ran the ribbon both above and below those pretty banner flags.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I thought that was a Power Poppy image... Love their stuff! Beautiful coloring on your gorgeous card!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous card, love how you used the papers and ribbon!
    Hugs, Sherry x
    Loose Stitches and Unraveled Threads

    ReplyDelete
  9. This really is a large card! Love the colors of this ribbon collection!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This really is a large card! Love the colors of this ribbon collection!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love all the different ribbons used!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the entire card. The colors are beautiful and the ribbons add that extra detail that ties it all together.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fabulous card! It is so beautiful. I love the layout you used. Your coloring of the image is terrific! It looks almost real. Great ribbons this month. I love all of them. Edwina Brown

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful card! Love the Ocean Breeze Assortment!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is so creative, Gloria. I'm in love with this month's collection.
    Sierra

    www.sierrasgift.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful, bright and colourful card. Thank you so much for entering our challenge. greetings, Veerle DT-ATSC

    ReplyDelete
  17. Gloria, this card is lovely. The softly colored patterned paper layers reflect the colors of the new ribbons so well. Thanks for sharing your card.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Gorgeous focal image and fabulously coloured. Thanks for joining us for Mojo Monday 500 :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh... only 8 miles from the ocean... I think I might never be at home if that were the case! Here I am a sea lover who hates to fly living in a land-locked state. LOL Such a gorgeous card, Gloria. So glad you could join us for our final Mojo sketch!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great card! Thanks for joining us at The Crazy Challenge. Good luck and hope to see you again! Valentina DT

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is a great card. I would sell my soul to have a home 8 miles from the ocean! Not sure how I ended up in Edmonton because my soul really belongs at the beach. I love the feel of sand between my toes and the warm, salty water surrounding me. My house renovations (dream) will be a beach theme. I can walk the beach for hours looking for shells and sea glass. Sigh!

    ReplyDelete